About Our Parish
The year was 1913. The population of the United States of America was 92,228,495 and Woodrow
Wilson was serving his first term as President. The population of West Virginia was 1,221,119 and
the governor was Henry Drury Hatfield who would serve until 1917. The population of Wheeling
was 41,641 and the Mayor was Harvey L. Kirk. Wheeling was a thriving center with a prosperous
There were many churches of various denominations in Wheeling. The Baptists were represented
with five churches. The Catholics had eight churches, many of which are still in existence today, plus
the Syrian Catholic Church (known today as Our Lady of Lebanon of the Maronite Rites) which was
at 2329 Market Street. There were two Christian churches, four Episcopalian, two German
Independent, one German Reformed, two Hebrew, five Lutheran, twelve Methodist, one German
Methodist, five Presbyterian, and two United Presbyterian.
While many Greek immigrants came to the city of Wheeling during the beginning of the 20th
century, it was not until November 10,1913, that the actual history of the Greek Orthodox
Community of Wheeling began. It was on that day, the Very Rev. Archimandrite Parthenios Kolonis
came from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, to speak to a huge crowd of Greek Orthodox faithful. They had
gathered to discuss the establishment of a Greek Orthodox Church to serve the spiritual needs of
the community. The Very Rev. Kolonis was a missionary priest from the Holy Monastery of St. John
the Theologian on the island of Patmos.
The island of Patmos, Greece, was where St. John the Evangelist wrote the last book of the New
Testament, the Book of Revelation. Therefore, the Very Rev. Kolonis named the newly established
church "Revelation of St. John the Divine." At that time it was only the second church named for St.
John in the United States and the First Orthodox Church in West Virginia. St. John the Divine Church
in Wheeling was the 58th Greek Orthodox community. There are now more than 550 parishes in
the Greek Archdiocese.
At the first general assembly meeting on March 9, 1914, it was decided that the community should
purchase the two story home and adjacent lot that was located at 2346 Market Street. The
committee was authorized by the general assembly to apply the sum of $1,150.00 towards the
purchase price of $8,150.00.
From May 1, 1914, the doors of St. John the Divine Greek Orthodox Church would be forever open
to the religious and spiritual needs of the faithful and to the Glory of God. With expenses totaling
$2,919.00, the two-story home at 2346 Market Street was converted into an Orthodox church. All
the Holy Icons on the iconostasis, as well as other icons, were painted by the renowned
iconographers, the Iosafeous of Mount Athos. These same precious icons adorn the church to this
At the general assembly meeting of August 1, 1920, the first constitution was formed and Vasilios
Petroplus was elected first president of the parish which consisted of 450 Members. The
constitution and by-laws became the rudder of the community until 1933, when the Uniform Parish
Bylaws of the Archdiocese were established as set forth by the Clergy- Laity Congress of that year.
Our local church was formally recognized by the Archdiocese of North and South America at the
Clergy-Laity Convention of 1933.
The Greek School was established in 1921. It has provided valuable knowledge and enriched the
lives of the many students who have attended. The first teacher was Mrs. Evgenia Nickolus. Georgia
Liapakis served many years with dedication and distinction until her retirement on March 25, 1990.
After the Rev. Kolonis left the community in 1921, the following priests served the community until
1928: the Rev. SerafIn Stelidis - 1921; the Rev. Gabriel Tsambralis - 1925; the Rev. Christopher
During the years of the Rev. Stephanos Lavriotis, 1928-35, the Sunday school and church choir were
The Greek Ladies Philoptochos Society "Areti" Chapter was organized March 15, 1935. Mrs.
Gramatiki Kappos served as the first president.
During the 1936 flood the church was badly damaged and the Rev. Demetrios Sakelarides was
moved to a Pittsburgh parish. Church and the
Greek school continued to be held at the YMCA then located at 32-20th Street and St. Matthew's
Episcopal Church, 1410 Chapline Street while the congregation worked untiringly to overcome this
adversity. After 20 months the church was reopened under the leadership of the Rev. George
Sakelarides. The Rev. Nicholas Speliotis served for the next nine years until 1944.
The need for a larger church and community center was evident during the early forties as the
congregation increased in numbers and strength. It was for this reason that at a general assembly
meeting of June 27, 1943, with Archbishop Athenagoras present, a committee was formed to
consider the purchase of a new church property. The initial sum of $34,095.00 was raised at a
special meeting on Sunday, April 15, 1945, of 23 business leaders of the Greek Community called by
then President Emanuel Sgouros.
The present property at 2215 Chapline Street was eventually purchased and converted at a cost of
$195,000.00 into a church and Hellenic Center. It was dedicated on May 20, 1951. The mortgage
burning ceremony was held on September 28, 1958.
From 1945-1952, the community was served by the Rev. John Geranios. The community, under the
direction of the Rev. Geranios, assisted by the Greek Ladies Philoptochos Society and the choir
hosted the first choir convention of the tri-state area on August 29, 1948, at Oglebay Park. Twelve
choirs of 500 members accompanied by their priests gathered together with the then Archbishop of
North and South America, His Eminence Athenagoras to celebrate the Divine Liturgy. Phyllis
Monroe Waldo of the Wheeling Choir served as organist.
The Tri-State Council of Greek Orthodox Clergy was responsible for organizing this convention and
starting the choirs on the path of the formation of the Tri-State Federation of Greek Orthodox
Choirs. The federation is now known as the Mid-Eastern Federation of Greek Orthodox Choirs and
Wheeling is recognized as its birthplace. The 30th convention was held at Wheeling College in July
1977, and the 40th convention was held at Oglebay Park in July 1987.
After 1952, the following priests served: the Rev. John Sfikas - 1953; the Rev Dorotheos Neamonitos
- 1954; the Rev. Demetrios Michaelides -1955-1962.
In 1955 the City of Wheeling and Ohio County combined to build a new City-County building. The
demolition of the old State Capitol Building which served as the City-County building was completed
in May and June, 1956. The Hellenic Center was made available for use as a temporary Court House
during the period of construction from 1956 to 1959. The new City-County Building was dedicated
on January 30, 1960.
The Rev. Thomas Ninnis served from 1962 - 1967. The period from 1968 to 1972 had the following
priests serve the community: the Rev. Joseph Antonakakis; the Rev. Constantine Regopoulos; the
Rev. Timothy Daris; the Rev. Polycarpos Rameas; and the Rev. Peter Kostakos.
On March 3, 1972, the property adjoining the Hellenic Center to the south was purchased, cleared
and paved for parking at a cost of $30,800.00
On October 24,1972, the property at 1432 Warwood Avenue was purchased for a parish home at a
cost of $31,000.00.
In 1977, the church as well as the Hellenic Center was centrally air-conditioned providing comfort
for the parishioners that attend the summertime services and the guests that attend the social
functions at the Hellenic Center.
The Rev. George Daskalakis served from 1972 to 1978 and the Rev. Demetrios Calogredes served
from 1978 to 1984.
The departure of the Rev. Calogredes and the shortage of available priests brought about the
sharing of the Rev. Menelaos Papageorgiou, from our neighboring community, The Church of the
Life Giving Fountain, Martins Ferry, Ohio. Services were alternated between the two churches.
In January 1988, His Grace Bishop Maximos assigned the Very Reverend Ignatios Apostolopoulos to
our parish. The Rev. George L. Livanos served from September 1, 1988 to August 1989. The Rev.
Stephen Mazaris served from August 15, 1989 to October 31, 1995. In the interim period priests
from the Diocese of Pittsburgh, the Rev. Michael Kontogiorgis, and the Rev. Dumitru Machailo held
services until June 2, 1996. The Rev. Spiro Kehayes celebrated his first liturgy on June 9, 1996, and
his last on January 24, 2010. The Rev. Eugen Rosu was assigned as a temporary priest but
appointed permanent priest on April 2, 2010. His last service was on Dec. 29, 2013. The Rev.
Mojmir Zalcik, as temporary priest, celebrated his first liturgy on January 2, 2014 and his last on July
13, 2014. The Rev. Demetrios Tsikouris was installed as the priest on July 20, 2014.
A Time Capsule was blessed by His Grace Bishop Maximos and laid in the cornerstone on September
30, 1990. The capsule contains historical records and remembrances of the 75th Anniversary. It is to
be opened in the year of our Lord 2013 for the 100th Anniversary.
Long-time parishioner, Marina Sfinas passed away on April 9,1991 and bequeathed her estate to St.
John The Divine. Her generosity enabled the Hellenic Center to be completely renovated and
became a beautiful setting for the many social activities of the community.
Many parishioners through their donations brought about the beautification of the sanctuary and
narthex. The addition of The Last Supper Icon, the Pantocratora (Creator of All) in September 1994
and the Platytera which was completed in January 1995 visibly enhanced the sanctuary.
Improvements were also made to the building, which included the electrical system and
renovations of the hanging vigil lights. These are just a few of the many improvements made in
The Archives Room and Church Library were established in August 1997. The room which had been
used for Sunday School and a Bookstore was completely renovated. All memorabilia, photographs,
and formerly used religious articles are being displayed. The Church Library includes several
volumes of religious books, audiotapes, encyclopedia and other reading material.
In 1998 emergency repairs were needed to the church roof and top wall areas. The church
borrowed $113,000 to make the necessary repairs. An Emergency Building Fund was established to
meet the obligation of the project.
The exterior of the building in March, 2001 saw two significant changes. A canopy was placed at the
sidewalk entrance of the Hellenic Center. This was done to readily identify the location to the
general public. The second change was of a great magnitude. A large arch window was installed on
the north wall of the sanctuary. This had been a much-discussed project for many years. The
generous donations of parishioners saw the completion of this project.
The Living Memorial Endowment Fund was established in the year 2001 to assure the financial
future of the church. The purpose was to collect a
sum of $1,000,000 or more to be held as principal. The interest from this endowment will be
distributed by the Church Council, which will use the money to pay for the day-to-day operation of
the church. Contributors are requested to give $10,000 or strive to meet the amount in 10 years.
The property at 2214 Market Street directly behind the church building was acquired on August 1,
2002 at a cost of $10,036.68. This would be used as a parking lot and a source of additional
The original elevator which had been troublesome over the years had to be replaced. The General
Assembly met on November 24, 2002 and approved the installation of a new elevator. This was to
be funded by the "New Elevator Drive". The new elevator was put into service on May 3, 2003. On
September 7, 2008, the General Assembly voted to proceed with a major renovation project. The
Liturgy on February 22, 2009, was celebrated in our newly renovated Church.
The congregation eagerly awaited the year of 2013. This was the Centennial of the establishment
of St. John the Divine. It was a time to celebrate the blessings we have been given and to
remember the sacrifices of those who came before us. It was their hard work that allowed us to
reach this memorable occasion. The activities were held on May 9, 10, 11 & 12. It brought His
Eminence Metropolitan Savas of Pittsburgh as well as former priests, altar boys, parishioners and
relatives to participate in this most joyous occasion. Our neighboring churches and friends joined in
the celebration. We praise the Lord in allowing us to reach this historic milestone.
Our destiny is guided by the will of God, our steadfast faith, and indomitable spirit. God bless us all.